Monday, March 14, 2011

Zucchini Bread

The first time Zucchini Bread made an impression on me, I think I was in junior high.  My family was eating at a "special" restaurant for reasons that I can't remember.  We ate dinner that night at The Pub, located in Camden, NJ near the Airport Circle.  I'm not saying I'd never had Zucchini Bread before that night where we ate in extremely dim lighting with flickering candles at each table.  However, this is the moment that has forever stood out for me as the beginning of my love for the bread.  I loved its darkish, rich color.  I loved its texture, even the nuts, which I've only become a real fan of since living in China.  Because of that night, I have loved going to Mimi's Cafe here in Tulsa.  In their little bread basket that each table receives upon being seated are two big dinner rolls, two pieces of French bread, and two pieces of Zucchini bread.  Mimi's serves it with freshly whipped butter, although Zucchini bread can stand alone in my opinion.

Over the last few months, I have tried my hand at making this delicious bread myself.  I have thrown a few surprise items in there now and then (like pineapple), but have decided on a master recipe.  This recipe is one that I've altered from a recipe I found on allrecipes.com.  I'm so glad to share this with you all today and encourage you to make it yourselves since it is so easy.  It makes a great breakfast or item to serve with tea or coffee in the afternoon...


Zucchini Bread

You will need
*Servings depend on how thick you slice*

  • 3 Cups - All Purpose Flour
  • 1 Tsp - Salt
  • 1Tsp - Baking Powder
  • 1Tsp - Baking Soda
  • 1.5 Tsp - Cinnamon
  • 3 - Eggs
  • 1/2 Cup - Apple Sauce (with Cinnamon if you want)
  • 1/2 Cup - Vegetable Oil
  • 1 Cup - White Sugar
  • 1 Cup - Brown Sugar
  • 3 Tsp - Vanilla Extract (I used Mexican Vanilla)

  • 3 - Zucchini Shredded (I shred two finely, then the third I shred the biggest; do not drain)
  • 1 Cup - Walnuts (use more if you want a nuttier bread)


*Preheat oven to 325 F*
*Grease two loaf pans* (Add parchment or wax paper if you desire to take out the entire loaf with ease when cool).

Step 1: Sift/Whisk through Dry Ingredients
Add flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon to a medium size mixing bowl.  You can sift these together or use a whisk to sift through.  (Many recipes call for more cinnamon, but I'm not that big of a fan in this bread so I only use 1.5 tsp and use apple sauce that has cinnamon already).

Step 2:  Cream Wet Ingredients
Add eggs, apple sauce, vegetable oil, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla to a large mixing bowl.  Cream together all wet ingredients.

Step 3:  Add dry to wet
Add all dry sifted ingredients to bigger mixing bowl of wet items.

Step 4:  Stir in Zucchini and Walnuts
Sometimes I use the mixer to make sure the zucchini is thoroughly distributed through.  Then stir in your walnuts last.  

Step 5:  Bake
Pour evenly into two prepared loaf pans and place in oven for 50 minutes.  Depending on oven, it may take up to 10 minutes longer.  

When finished, place pans on wire racks to cool for at least 10 minutes, then if desired, you can take out of pans to finish cooling on their own.  Keep leftovers in plastic wrap in the fridge.




Side notes:  My experiment bread a few months ago where I added I can of drained pineapple tidbits gave a very sweet bread, that I probably should've cooked longer than the "master recipe" here.  I have also thought about throwing some shredded coconut in as well and I think it would be an interesting addition.  If you use this recipe and add your own flair or serve as is, let me know...
(I have enabled comments so that anyone can now leave a note:) ).






4 comments:

  1. I agree Tony. I want some! haha. Love how you incorporate the pictures Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy.. can't wait to try it out myself..but you know me, I will probably add some raisins :) ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! But did you ever find out The Pub's recipe? That was the best in the world and I experienced it exactly as you did... special family event that I can't remember. :-) Do any of the recipes that you've tried come close? The Pub's had a very distinctive flavor that I can't see in any recipes I've found so far. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete