Friday, March 4, 2011

Puerto Rico, My Heart's Devotion

Growing up in Jersey had lots of perks.  One being that both of my parents came from what I like to think of as that "good, old school, East Coast" breed.  Both love jazz music, black and white movies, and musicals.  Though there may not have been much else that my parents agreed on, I can't deny that both instilled in me and my brother a real love of the classics.  It's no wonder that I prefer to watch Danny Kaye, Jerry Lewis, and Humphrey Bogart when I'm homesick or that Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, and Duke Ellington can just make a bad day feel "right" again--even from the first note of one of their pieces.

Having said that, as a little girl, my mother told me the plot of the film, West Side Story, years before I would ever watch it.  This version of forbidden love a lá Romeo and Juliet really rocked my world when I first watched it.  Though it has definite variations from the Shakespearean tragedy that it draws heavily from, it still speaks of young passion, the sacrifice that love demands, and people struggling for their place in the world.  Even though the female protagonist of the film (Natalie Wood) is not a true Boricua, I still loved that movie a lot when I first watched it.  Living on the East Coast (I make these comparisons because living in Tulsa, OK for any amount of time will teach you that not everyone's experiences are the same, though they may be from the same country), taught me a great respect for all cultures, a fascination with traditions, and a desire to celebrate in various ways.  A certain pride is still quietly present in me at times that there is definite Puerto Rican blood (even if only visible in my dark curls) within me.

My friend, Joya, performed what she (and I) know as a "real labor of love" for me yesterday.  Any Puerto Rican reading this post will know exactly what I mean when I tell you what she did; she made Sofrito for me...

What is Sofrito?  Well, if any of you readers have ever had the pleasure of eating authentic Puerto Rican food before, you know then of the amazing flavors that are introduced to your palette with every bite and that inevitable question that is formed on your lips to ask, "What is this incredible taste?" Sofrito is the base for all Puerto Rican dishes, usually the first thing that goes in the pot to simmer with the olive oil to get things started before any other ingredient is added.  Without Sofrito, many Puerto Rican dishes would lack their almost Caribbean sabor.  


I have not yet worked out my own tweaked version of Sofrito, but I am working on it.  As soon as I find one that I am confident in, I will post it for all of you foodies to try, especially if you've never attempted Puerto Rican food yourself.  Let me inform you, it is not a cousin to Mexican, or any other "Hispanic" food you may be accustomed to.  Puerto Rican food is much more akin to most Caribbean cuisine.  So, now that I am fully stocked with a massive amount of Sofrito (you usually only need a tablespoon or two), I am ready to share my first very, very personal Puerto Rican recipe, one that I've been making for 10 years that was passed down to me.

Tomorrow, I will be cooking Arroz con Habichuelas y Chuletas.  Please check again in the evening for pictures, ingredients, and the full recipe.  In my opinion, this dish is the ultimate Puerto Rican comfort food.

Until then, Salud :)






Mi Abuelo dancing...

No comments:

Post a Comment